They were partying in Brixton last night, along with Bristol and Glasgow. And I don't blame them. Former UK Prime Minister Maggie Thatcher is dead at last.
This is the same Maggie Thatcher who:
- closed the mines, the steel works and the shipyards;
- put more than three million people out of work;
- devastated communities - in some families; no one has had a job for nearly 30 years;
- created the current housing crisis by not allowing local councils to replace housing stock
they sold off under "Right to Buy" legislation;
- introduced the Poll Tax;
- deregulated the financial services industry, which contributed to the current economic
- abolished the GLC and the other Metropolitan County Councils;
- created a culture governed by greed, selfishness and the "me-first" mentality.
And lest we forget, the 1981 Brixton riots happened on her watch.
I could go on. I feel for her family members, but I mostly feel for the rest of Britain, the majority of whom are still suffering under the legacy of Thatcher.
Brixton people know how to party, and the Ritzy Cinema joined in the fun. Watch the video below for more.
Shame it came 30 years too late.