Monday, October 20, 2014

Why Black History Matters Part 2

London Black History Walks have been holding events about Black people in WWI for many years.  We have now reached the centenary of the start of the First World War and I have noticed that, over the past few years, more and more documentaries have started to emerge about the Black contribution to, and involvement in, the war.  For example, this one about Togo

I can’t help thinking that this is partly due to the example set by Black History Walks. 
I am wondering:  what do you think is the importance of Black history? 

Further to what I said in Part 1, I think there are two main benefits to gaining knowledge about our history. 

1) Understanding and analysis.  I touched on this in Part 1

2) Self-esteem and confidence.  The more we know about the Black contribution, the clearer is our sense of ourselves, our identities – individual and collective – and our gifts, talents and strengths. 

This is one reason why I publish the More Black Success ebooks.

My mother taught me about slavery and resistance when I was a young child.  Although she never used the word “resistance”, she taught me about Black heroes and sheroes like Harriet Tubman, Sojourner Truth, Frederick Douglass and Toussaint L’Ouverture. 

These stories gave me a sense of pride.  They also meant I had a little bit of knowledge on which I could build.  

It is the responsibility of each and every one of  us to pass on what Black history knowledge we have to the next generations.  


There are lots more Black history posts on this blog, so do explore.  Use this as a resource, and share it with your networks.  I welcome your comments below. 

No comments: